Bonhams announced two 1928 Bentley Open Sports Tourer “W.O. models” for its Quail Lodge 2018 sale: a 6 ½ -Liter by Barker and a 4 ½-Liter by Vanden Plas.
Two further historic “W.O. model” Bentleys will be on offer at the Bonhams Quail Lodge 2018 classic car auction during the Monterey week sales in August 2018.
The 1928 Bentley 6 ½ -Liter Open Sports Tourer by Barker is the sole surviving example and has matching numbers and original coachwork. The 1928 Bentley 4 ½-Liter Open Tourer by Vanden Plas is similarly highly original but with excellent patina rather than restoration. No estimates have been released yet.
Bonhams Quail Lodge 2018 Classic Car Auction
The Bonhams Quail Lodge 2018 classic car auction is scheduled for 24 August 2018 at the Quail Lodge Golf Club in Carmel Valley near Monterey in California, USA.
At the 2017 Quail Lodge auction, Bonhams earned $56,430,000 with a sell-through rate of 80% of the 105 cars on offer. the top result was a marque-record $15,620,000 for a 1995 McLaren F1 sports car.
In 2016, Bonhams’ top result at Quail Lodge was $4,000,000 for a 1931 Bugatti Type 51 Grand Prix Racing Two Seater but the Quail Lodge, Monterey Week and world auction record was set in 2014 when the 1962/3 Ferrari 250 GTO sold for $38,115,000 as the most-expensive car ever sold at public auction.
Top Bentleys at Bonhams Quail Lodge 2018
Three classic Bentleys will be on offer at the Bonhams Quail Lodge 2018 sale:
1928 Bentley 6 ½ -Liter Open Sports Tourer by Barker
A 1928 Bentley 6 ½ -Liter Open Sports Tourer by Barker, also the sole surviving example with this body style, is to be featured. Matching numbers with known history from new – a truly priceless aspect – and benefitting from a new, correct and comprehensive restoration, this unique and special motorcar represents the period when the legendary British manufacturer was at its zenith.
From 1927-1930 Bentley dominated the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the world’s most prestigious endurance race, so performance was an integral aspect of this model. Additionally, luxury was omnipresent and the exclusive coachwork by Barker & Company made for an automobile of epic attributes. With its lightweight aluminum skin, open body configuration, massively powerful engine, and incomparable history, this 90-year old survivor is not just rare but also immensely practical.
1928 Bentley 4 ½-Liter Open Tourer by Vanden Plas
A smaller 1928 Bentley 4 ½-Liter Open Tourer by Vanden Plas will also be on offer at Bonhams Quail Lodge 2018. This car is one of a very few unmodified and completely correct examples with its originality underscored by the original fabric body and brush-painted bodywork that projects an extraordinary patina.
Also profiting from a race-proven engine, the four-and-a-half-liter cars were what raised the bar in international motor racing and won Bentley its second Le Mans victory as well as setting the fastest lap in 1928. Genuine, historic and useable, not to mention tons of fun, this veteran has spent the majority of its life in Great Britain.
1931 Bentley 8-Liter Saloon by Vanden Plas
Together, these two exceptional automobiles join the previously announced 1931 Bentley 8-Liter Saloon by Vanden Plas that was ordered new by AJ Player of John Player family and motorsport sponsor fame. These old Bentleys are each a precious rarity made even more desirable by virtue of their renowned functionality and, now consigned for auction, represent a wonderful opportunity for the driving enthusiast.
Monterey Classic Car Week Auctions 2018
Bonhams Quail Lodge 2018:
- Golden Age Automobiles: 1948 Talbot-Lago T26 Record Sport, 1931 Bentley 8-Liter Saloon and 1911 Mercedes 28/60 Tourer
- 1928 “W.O. Model” Bentleys: 6 ½ -Liter Open Sports Tourer by Barker & 4 ½-Liter Open Tourer by Vanden Plas
- 1962 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta
Gooding Pebble Beach 2018:
- 1955 Ferrari 500 Mondial Series II: the only Ferrari factory team entry not to have raced in red!
- Unrestored Icons – the first production Bentley R-Type Continental, a Gullwing and garage-find Ferrari Lusso.
- Competition Ferrari Berlinettas: a 275 GTB/C, a 250 GT Tour de France, and a 166 MM/195 S Berlinetta Le Mans.
- 1935 Duesenberg SSJ – ex-Gary Cooper, ex-Briggs Cunningham
Mecum Monterey 2018:
RM Sotheby’s Monterey 2018:
- Pebble Beach Winners – 1934 Packard Twelve Individual Custom Convertible Victoria by Dietrich & 1927 Isotta Fraschini Tipo 8A S Roadster by Fleetwood
- 1956 Maserati A6G/2000 Zagato Berlinetta
- 1968 Porsche 908 K Works Racer
- 1966 Ford GT40 – third place at Le Mans
- 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO – expected to become the most-expensive car ever sold at public auction
- 1963 Aston Martin DP215 Grand Touring Competition Prototype – possibly the most-expensive Aston ever.
Book Fun Tours and Adventures in the Monterey Region of California: